Savory Cured Olive Rosemary Biscotti By Desiree Merulli
Savory biscotti perfect anytime of day. Plant Paradox Friendly, Lectin Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Paleo.
I created these Cured Olive Rosemary Biscotti during the beautiful sunny peak of last summer. Today it is cold outside and many of my patients are stressed right now. These biscotti are easy to make and an excellent prebiotic treat to build your gut biome and help restore your mood and wellness. Invite your kids or spouse to help you. Its kind of fun to play with the dough.
- 2 Cups Tigernut Flour
- 1/2 Cup Hazelnut Flour (may substitute ground pine nut)
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder* (aluminum free)
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- Cassava Flour for shaping the dough
- 4 Pasture Raised Organic Eggs
- ½ Cup Organic Olive Oil
- 10 Drops Organic Lemon Essential Oil
- Lemon Zest From 1 Organic Lemon
- 1 cup Oil Cured Black Olives, pits removed
- 1-2 T Ground Fresh Rosemary (use Vitamix or food processor to grind into powder or chop finely with knife)
- 1-2 Handfuls Pine Nuts – Trader Joes or Whole Foods has the best value.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use an oven thermometer to check actual temperature. Most ovens vary from what the setting displays.
- Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix liquids in a separate bowl then combine the two. Add the Cured black olives, rosemary and pine nuts and mix. I use a hand mixer or stand mixer. Feel free to use your hands to mix the dough if you prefer. This will break up the olives a bit and distribute their aroma.
- Divide the mixture in half to create 2 rectangular loaves. Shape each loaf onto a silicon baking mat or a parchment lined cookie sheet. I use disposable medical gloves dusted in cassava flour; this makes is much easier. You may also coat your hands in cassava flour to shape the loaves. Make the loves about ¾ to 1 inch thick. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove loaves from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Slice the loaves 1 inch thick on an angle into biscotti. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden on a baking rack.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Serve these cured olive rosemary biscotti with olive oil in dipping bowls with a side of room temperature goat cheese or Manchego.
Trader Joe’s carries high quality goat and manchego cheeses and a variety of organic olive oils. These biscotti are also amazing dipped in espresso or red wine. The umami flavor of olives compliment everything. Enjoy!
*To make DIY baking powder aluminum free, GMO free, and lectin free, mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda. I make this in larger batches to have on hand.