This year has had effected my patients’ allergies more than the last 2 years. There seems to be a new pollen or allergen blooming every 2 weeks in the Puget Sound.
I’ve prepared a list of Do It Yourself Allergy tips to help survive the allergy season. These will also complement your acupuncture treatments.
1. Rinse hands and face often, when pollen or dust is present.
2. Wash bedding frequently or at least the pillowcase. You can also buy some inexpensive hand towels at Bed Bath and Beyond (they come bundled) and place a new one over your pillow each night. Make sure you wash the towels before using. See Tip# 4.
3. Get rid of any scented household cleaning products, personal care products, and candles. Opt for natural, chemical free ones. Avoid using any air fresheners altogether.
4. Wash all new clothes, towels and bedding before using to remove the chemicals used in manufacturing.
5. Scalp massage-access the scalp points, and hey you feel foggy when suffering from allergies so go for it. Gently massage the whole scalp and spend extra time on any tender areas you find.
6. Acupressure: See points I drew on the image at left. UB2, St 3, Qiuhou, Gb1, yuyao, ub1, basically circling the orbits of the eyes, then press Li 20 and then massage GB21. Also firm tapping or massage of GB21 (located at the top of your shoulders in the trapezius muscle) with “bongers” (bongers are a ball on a flex stick used for massage tapotement).
7. Change air filters often if you have a heating or cooling system in your home or work place. This will save on your energy bill too. Also wipe down and clean your fans in your office or home.
8. Eucalyptus steam using pure medical grade essential oil. Boil some water and remove from stove, add a few drops and cover head with towel while leaning over pot. Also gives your home a refreshing uplifting scent.
9. Move the lymph fluids in the body by gently applying rolling pressure to the area around the armpits and neck and clavicle. You can do this lightly with your hand. The lymph system is a passive drainage and firm pressure doesn’t work as well as light.
10. Drink plenty of water to keep your organs working optimum levels.